Nathan Andrews lives the luxurious life of a successful author. His charms and humor capture the ladies, and his gruesome tales grip his male audience. When he finds himself in trouble, he runs away to his lake house where his darkest secrets come to life. All monsters have to look respectable for their unfortunate victims…
Warning ADULT 18+
Graphic violence, Sexual Content, drug use, and language.
Themes: BDSM, serial killer
It’s funny how it gets easier each time to kill. I try to keep this beast tamed, but self-control is no longer on my side.
Okay. Here goes. This is an extraordinarily difficult review to write, and I debated long and hard about the rating – because I genuinely found myself engrossed in this story. But there were a few things that just remained in the back of my mind the entire time I was reading it. I’ll write this review a little differently from normal.
The good bits
– Gore. Lots of gore.
– Shock factor. And it takes a lot to shock me nowadays.
– Successfully combining erotica with horror and making me incredibly confused about my reactions. Like, the awkward moment you realise you have a lady boner when someone’s being fucked so hard they pretty much die.
Staring at both bodies, one still breathing and the other slowly falling to death, I feel consumed by the darkness. There is nothing that can bring me back from Lucifer’s playground.
The bad bits
– This was too short; I wanted a slower build, and more suspense before the climax.
– I never really got to know the characters other than their utter psychopathy.
– I hate flashbacks. With a burning passion. They never fit seamlessly with the text.
– It was a little bit messy (and I’m not talking about the gore). The descriptions were sometimes pretty complex and it was difficult to grasp what was going on. There was no pacing; it was all gore and horror and bizarrely erotic creppy-ass sex (and creepy ass sex).
The worst bit
-It really could have done with a decent proofread. I can forgive ARCs, trusting that errors will be picked up, but I do expect a little more when I purchase a book.
“Let me be clear that you are about to step into my dark fantasy. I don’t know if you’ll make it to the other side with me because I don’t do any safe words. I only do what my body forces me to do. You have no control anymore, Slave. You are now just a piece of meat for me to play with,”
Overall, a crazily enjoyable, original, WTF storyline that will please fans of the pitch black genre, despite being hampered somewhat by its fast pacing, errors and underdeveloped characters.